Tierkop Challenge Trail Run

Our trail grading: GREEN 4B
Distance: 24km
Extremeness: Heat, off-road and an extreme climb or two...
Location: Tierkop, George, South Africa
Joggers: Only me

Today I jogged the long planned Tierkop challenge. Basically, running from my parent’s house via the old George Dam to the Tierkop hut and back via the Garden Route dam. The run started on a beautiful single track which is part of the Outeniqua hiking trail. This was followed by a decent climb towards a contour path and a steep descend to the George Dam. The single track from the old dam up to Tierkop does not see a lot of traffic and the route is completely missing or washed away in certain areas. When I got to the hut I was disappointed that everything was locked and that I could not get water. I had about 500ml left in my hydra pack which would not be enough for the way back. Needless to say I struggle a bit in the 34 degree heat on the way back and luckily got to a river at about 20km into the jog! After a number of brownish gulps of water I completed a further gruelling 4km. Although this jog was fairly extreme given the heat, the scenery was truly spectacular and worth every drop of sweat!

Single track and natural forest
An awesome contour path
The old George Dam
Fairly high
This was once a single track
Looking back at the George Dam and my route
George and the sea in the distance
The Tierkop hut
The route back towards Garden Route dam
Posted by Picasa


Comments

Popular Posts